Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It is hard to be green, but why?

When I was little, my family went camping and traveled all over the US by car. My parents, teachers and Girl Scout Leaders always said things like, "Take only photos, leave only footprints." So I listened, and so did a lot of you. But why then do I sometimes feel self-conscience about caring for the environment, using my canvas shopping bags, and driving my hybrid?

There is a popular column in the San Jose Mercury News called Mr. Roadshow in which some people complain that Prius drivers have a holier than thou attitude. Do they really?

I have to admit I feel good about using my canvas bags. They are strong and big and make taking the groceries from the car much easier. They are all different and were collected on vacations over the last several years; they make me smile. I no longer have that sick to my stomach feeling when I get home from the store and see all the waste. Sure buying any packaged food leads to a lot of waste, but at least I don't see it all balled up or piled up in the form of grocery or shopping bags.

When I shop at Whole Foods or the like, there is a common attitude, but at other stores, I feel like I stick out like a hippy chick in Birkenstocks and tie dye. I feel an urge to explain away my behavior. Why? I'm not sure. I certainly don't judge all the other shoppers. Convenience and habits are hard things to let go of or change. I know, it took me months to consistently remember my canvas. I would be happy if I served as a good example, or a role model, just please don't assume that I am judging anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment